https://mcstylists-overclock.forumotion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New build for me...

+5
grumpydaddy
bob2701
4hams
smduff
SavageNFS
9 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

New build for me... - Page 8 Empty Re: New build for me...

Post by smduff Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:53 am

SavageNFS wrote:I doubt we are going to have anything with G 1/4 BSP threads on it here in the States...lol. I have to go out later to get some stuff for the house and I'll look just to be safe.

I'm looking at the EK-FC Bridge to connect the cards, but it doesn't list the FC580 GTX as a compatible block. I can't imagine that it won't work, but it would be nice to know. I've got to research some forums. According to the Dazmode site, it should fit. Everyone seems to want to go serial here where I was thinking parallel...lol. My thoughts are higher flows (from a parallel setup) should help reduce the heat, but I guess the school of thought is the higher pressure (from a serial setup) will absorb more heat from the block. Thoughts?

Just get the ones with 1/2" barbs and hide them out of the way unless you're set on having compression fitting for everything. As for the Parallel vs Serial setup I honestly don't have a preference, I just go for less restrictive connections and as high of a flow as I can.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:57 am

I am going red/clear fluid, but the clear will be in black tubing. I want to take the plumbing as far as I can and see how things start to layout and I'll make the call. I think a parallel layout would work best for me in this particular case (no pun intended...lol). I actually prefer the tubing myself, but like the rigidity of the EK block. Plus, for traditional tubing to work, I'll have to skip a slot and I don't want to do that. I could use the Koolance tube kit (what I planned), but I think I may as well order the EK block and call it a day.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

http://www.sandboxgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:04 am

How expensive is the EK tubing kit?
Maybe get both and decide what looks best to you...
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:06 am

The bridge is 25 bucks and the tubes are 10 bucks.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:08 am

Yeah...EK kit is $48 complete from FrozenCPU and they ship the fastest to me. Serial is in the cart...
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:20 am

Don't forget your sleeveing LOL or connectors for the flow meters.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:31 am

Thank you Captain Obvious! I haven't checked out yet and likely won't until I have as much mocked up as I can. Putting this build up here for you guys makes it really difficult to cut corners. I even sleeved my fricken temp sensors. Did you notice the sleeve on the ROG light on the MB? That was a nightmare trying to get apart with my stupid 40 year old man hands. That connector is delicate. So much pressure you guys put on me!
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 am

No pressure from us we just expect it to be perfectttttt. LOL

Your doing a fantastic job by the way with all the pics and discussion it is really a fantastic build and thread!
Thanks again for sharing it with us. thanks
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:50 am

SavageNFS wrote:Thank you Captain Obvious! I haven't checked out yet and likely won't until I have as much mocked up as I can. Putting this build up here for you guys makes it really difficult to cut corners. I even sleeved my fricken temp sensors. Did you notice the sleeve on the ROG light on the MB? That was a nightmare trying to get apart with my stupid 40 year old man hands. That connector is delicate. So much pressure you guys put on me!

LMFAO I just thought age might be a factor, it was just a friendly reminder no preassure. Yes I did notice the wires that's why I mentioned it will light up nice LOL.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:11 am

Well there are certainly benefits to logging it for me. I've never logged a build before as I never really built anything "special" like this one is certainly going to be for me. I also didn't really know any of you before. SBG may get a glimpse when I'm done (if they ask). It isn't as though any one of them are hardcore PC builders, so I'm more likely to get why did you go way over the top like that reactions instead of seeing the build for what it really is. While I certainly hope that they don't see it as me just showing off and building a monster, but it could happen. While I get along with most every one over there and enjoy the friendships, I just don't see more than a few that will even think this build is cool. Those that do are in chat with me daily and game with me at night (like EVERY night). They haven't asked to many questions about it, so I'm not going to tell them what they aren't interested in hearing about. There are a few of my close friends that are interested, but they are being cool and letting me focus and they know I'll link to this build thread when it is complete so they can see it all from start to finish. I'm saving them from the torture of waiting. They have the patience of a gnat and will want to see it done immediately!

I don't get the impression any of you see the build negatively and you get what I'm doing. This rig is going to be worked and worked hard. It will take the burden off another machine in the house and will make it more convenient for me not having to remote to the other computer to do design runs. It will also take some strain off the other computer. Logging a build also gives encouragement, helpful advice and perspective, as well as sharing something you are doing with people. It also forces you to think ahead (I failed this weekend!) and plan for your next step. I'm not in a particular hurry, but it's hard to stay focused when you have all these parts taunting you to put them to work. So thank you all for putting up with this raw build log and keeping me going!

:Thankyou:
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by bob2701 Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:30 am

No one here has a negative thought about your build and log. Quite the opposite, I will echo the words of Steve, "I'm jealous". It is going to be a fantastic build when done and I'm sure you will get many, many hours of pleasure using it. Something you will look back on with pride.

I for one enjoy following your log, thanks.
bob2701
bob2701
Respected Forum Idividuals

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Well I spent a little time working on what I could. I ran all the tubing in the case and started some cable/tubing management. All tubing runs are done, but some are not terminated. I'm waiting on some 5-way blocks to make some connections. Obviously can't install the MB yet as I'm waiting on some parts. All I can say is it's a good thing there is plenty of room in the case or I'd be screwed. I don't have any cables from the power supply in there yet and it is already starting to look messy. Provided the inside of the case looks nice, I really don't care what the back of the MB tray looks like. I'll be the only one to see it and that is only when I'm messing with something.
New build for me... - Page 8 939831418_photobucket_21254_
Here is a shot of the MB as of right now.
New build for me... - Page 8 939831418_photobucket_21253_
I also put the sister board on top of the main control board for the loops. I'll be able to control the pumps, monitor flow rates on each loop, monitor CPU, MB, RAM and each GPU temp independently. I will also be able to set shut down procedures based on temp or flow. This is one of the things that I am most excited to tinker with...
New build for me... - Page 8 939831418_photobucket_21255_
Cart is filled at Frozen for sleeve materials, a couple of 5-way blocks, the EK SLI kit, and some other odds and ends. I'll order that tomorrow in case I think of anything I need tomorrow. Looks like it will be next weekend before any real progress happens.

I did get the pumps in the reservoir as well. No pics of that yet as it sits a mess as I don't have any sleeving material and I don't want to post it looking unfinished.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Looks good Savage I'll be waiting to see some more progress being made when you have the parts.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:43 pm

It all looks great Savage!
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Bored...
New build for me... - Page 8 939831418_photobucket_21439_
New build for me... - Page 8 939831418_photobucket_21352_
Kind of hard to see, but the GPU back plate is silver. All the other back plates are black (including the cold cathode switch back that I painted to match already. So I thought I would paint the GPU back plates.
New build for me... - Page 8 939831418_photobucket_21504_
It's going to be a long wait on those parts...
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:31 pm

I love the detail you are putting into this rig! It shows pride in ownership. Very nice.
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Looking good Savage great detail.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bob2701 Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Awesome job, looks great.
bob2701
bob2701

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:30 pm

Excellent!!
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:03 pm

Well the MB is in...and progress comes to a dead stop. There is truly nothing more I can do until the UPS man arrives.
New build for me... - Page 8 939831418_photobucket_21761_
It is still a bit of a mess, but I'll clean up once the GPU's are installed. The two black tubes on the bottom are the supply and return for them.

Note: I can confirm on the ASUS Rampage III Extreme, the 3.0 USB cable from the front panel do need to be routed outside the case and plug into the rear 3.0 USB ports on the MB, there are no internal 3.0 USB connectors. I kind of wish I had known that prior to ordering...I may have skipped upgrading, but other boards (and certainly future boards) may support internal connection. Regardless, you have to choose whether you want front or back 3.0 USB or any combination of the two locations (by unplugging the cables in the back).
New build for me... - Page 8 939831418_photobucket_21764_

Question: I've never used an SSD before. My goal is to use the SSD as the primary OS (Win 7 Pro 64bit) and the two HDD's will be the data drives in RAID 1. I've read that the OCZ SSD's require a 5v sata power connection. I have the SSD in the top tray of the hot swap bays currently. The hot swap bays are powered off a sata power connection cable straight from the power supply. The OCZ site mentions that most sata power connections have both 5v and 12v power supplies, but it doesn't mention if the SSD will automatically use the 5v or if there is a certain power connection method/cable I am supposed to use. The standard one fits no problem and I think I'm ok, I would just like some confirmation from you guy as I know a few of you run SSD's. Also, is there anything you recommend doing to the SSD prior to installing the OS or just install the OS as I would an a standard HDD?
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:56 pm

As for connections just connect the way you would any Sata 2 drive.

This link will tell you all you need to do for best SSD performance. And remember that in the bios the drive should be set as AHCI not just ide...

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?t=7691
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks!
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Well parts should arrive tomorrow. I, unfortunately, will be on the road for work. I hope to be back by dinner, but we soccer practice at 6pm so I doubt I will have any significant progress until late Thursday or Friday. My goal is to get the loops filled and pumping for a day or so to check for leaks by Friday afternoon. I would like to install an OS this weekend if at all possible. Them's my goals folks...thanks for watching and stay tuned!
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:40 pm

Always in the background & tuned for this Savage! smile:
Steve
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:50 pm

GASP!!!!! no pics of the new toy's..............
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next