https://mcstylists-overclock.forumotion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New build for me...

+5
grumpydaddy
bob2701
4hams
smduff
SavageNFS
9 posters

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

Go down

New build for me... Empty New build for me...

Post by SavageNFS Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 pm

You may want to skip down to the good stuff as this is just me rambling on about why I am building this machine and what it is to be used for. It is intended for those that really want to offer suggestion. Half of the fun for me is researching and learning about the do’s and don’ts as they change more frequently than the weather.
Boring Background Info:
I state it is for me because I haven’t built a computer for my own use in a really long time. I think the last one I built for me a new chip called the "Pentium" had just come to market. I was messing with "clones" at the time. They were called clones because if it wasn't an IBM, it wasn't a copy cat. I've built a few other machines over the years for other people mainly. Recently (two years ago) I built what I call out HTPC, but it is really more than that. I'll post up some pics of that some other time. I've built some other machines for friends and recently built four workstations for our corporate office. Saved them a lot of money, built them what they wanted and only what they wanted with room to upgrade in the future as things change. I still consider myself a novice, but I know enough to get by and more importantly know who to turn to when I hit unfamiliar territory. I can't thank forums and friends enough for how much knowledge I have gained from you over the years and appreciate the experience so much.
Anyway, for over a decade, I was forced to use a corporate laptop. 18 months ago I was given an ultimate to take a transfer to Houston, TX. When I asked to discuss it with my wife over night, I was informed I wasn't a team player and informed my job no longer existed. I had worked their 9 years and traveled heavily for them for 6. When I say heavily, I mean on average 42 weeks out of a year on the road flying a couple hundred thousand miles a year heavy. I'm in sales...I sold steel for a large corporation. My former boss was in a delicate situation and handled it poorly. He is now unemployed and my former employer has asked me to come back and I politely declined. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me. Regardless, my new employer is such a breath of fresh air. Smaller company no corporate drama and I hope to retire here and make them a lot of money along the way. Provided I take care of them, I am confident they will take care of me.
My point is smaller company means different set of rules. I am no longer chained to a corporate computer. I can use whatever I want and when I started I bought an average HP laptop that has been serving me nicely. The only problem is that all of my real work needs to be done on the HTPC that I built as my laptop just doesn't have the horsepower to get it done in a timely manner. I frame design that my HTPC can run in 30 minutes would take hours on the laptop. I work from home mostly now so it really hasn't been a big deal to use both machines. However, I was given a green light to build a new rig and I am taking advantage of it.
The rig will sit right next to me or 10-12 hours a day. I want it quiet. My HTPC sounds like a 747 taking off and I'm not dealing with that. I have also never built a water cooled PC, so that is more incentive for me to go that route. I also want to our design program to run faster. An average project takes 10 minutes on a Q9550 which isn’t terrible, but some projects have 6-10 alternates and they each need to run independently. If I can cut that process time in half, the time saved will add up quickly so I can spend even more time on forums and NOT working. The opposite is likely the case, but regardless the processing power is desired. I also want to OC this rig in small part because of this, but mainly because I’ve never done it and think it will be fun. I like to learn about new things and OC’ing seems right up my alley.
Another requirement is three monitors. Currently I have one open for Outlook/IM all the time and another that is switching between my active programs. It’s a pain. I want a third to have my design program running in so I can look at the drawings and the design input screens at the same time. For those of you running SLI/Crossfire set-ups, you see where this means a minimum of two cards if you want to do it right.
This leads me to the last little twist of the build…most of you know that I am a hardcore gamer. I usually play on consoles, but I want to be able to play on my PC for some games that are coming out. Crysis 2, StarCraft 2 or some Flight Sims or whatever. At first I am likely to build with two video cards, but that may get upgraded to three with two running in SLI for the center monitor and one independent for everyday stuff on the right and left monitors.
I will say off the bat that I am pretty open minded about a lot of things and closed minded about some others. I will say that half of my current machines are Intel and the other half are AMD. This build will be Intel. I like ASUS mother boards, but was considering an EVGA X58 classified. I am fairly married to ASUS mb’s as they have always performed well for me. The EVGA X58 classified have gotten some pretty good reviews for over clocking ability. ROG ASUS have also had really good reviews so I’m really leaning towards them. Some equipment is already purchased (which I will start with) so that is pretty much decided. Believe it or not, cost is a factor, but this is not a budget build by any means. Also, I want a self contained case, no exterior RADs or monstrosities at this time and I really don’t think they are necessary for this machine.
The Good Stuff:
New build for me... 800d-threequarterviewNew build for me... 800d_newdoor-wcovers
Corsair 800D Case - This will deliver Friday.
New build for me... 17-139-014-Z99S300W
Corsair AX1200 Power supply - Already here.
New build for me... 13-131-642-Z03S300W
ASUS Ramage III Extreme MB - Not ordered, but soon.
New build for me... 19-115-079-02
Intel i7 990X Extreme - It's either this or the 970, really want to go with the 990x. The cost is the obvious factor.
New build for me... 20-145-329-TSS300W
Corsair Dominator GT RAM (24GB) - Not ordered...still considering options.
New build for me... 14-130-601-Z03S300W
EVGA GTX 580 FTW Hydro - Not ordered...still considering options.
New build for me... 20-227-590-TSS300
OCZ 120gb SSD for primary - already here.
New build for me... 22-136-792-Z01S300W
Dual WD 2.0TB 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives for data. I'm a WD man and I'm not changing...samsung maybe.
New build for me... 27-118-050-TSS300WNew build for me... 27-136-178-TSS300W
BluRay Burner/DVD Burner - couldn't care less. I know you guys can suggest the best optical drives.
New build for me... Cpu-360_02
Koolance 360 CPU Block - open to suggestion, but really like the design of this block
New build for me... Mb-asr3e_02
Koolance MB Block for Rampage III Extreme - again, open to suggestion, but really like the design of this block
New build for me... Rp-452x2_02
Koolance RP452X2 Dual Pump 5.25" Reservoir - I really like this unit and pumps. Open to suggestion, but pretty attached to this unit and it's pumps.
New build for me... Pmp-450_02
Koolance/Swiftech PMP-450 (x2) pumps (will be controlled with flow meters, temp sensors and adjustable via the Koolance board)
New build for me... Hx-cu1020v_02New build for me... Hx-cu720v_02
Koolance 3x120mm radiator for top, and 2x120 for the bottom. Both to deliver Thursday.
New build for me... Fan-517_2
Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-S2 120mm Fans - Here. If you have never used these fans, you should really try them. They are the best I have ever used PERIOD.

Well that's what I have figured so far. I plan on running 3/8 ID tubing and compression fittings. Black tubing on the CPU/MB loop and RED on the VGA loop. The top RAD will cool the CPU/MB loop and the lower RAD will cool the VGA loop. I am open to comments and suggestions! Fire away...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas.

Last edited by SavageNFS on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

http://www.sandboxgamers.com

Back to top Go down

New build for me... Empty Re: New build for me...

Post by smduff Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:43 am

Looks great first off let me save you some money, 1366 socket (X58) motherboards boards don't run hot even when overclocked because the IMC is built into the chip now and not on the NB like they use to be, so no need to water cool it unless it is just for looks, then by all means go ahead but it is just throwing money out the window to be honest.

If you require 3 monitors then go to AMD not NVIDIA far better setup, for gaming, simply because you don't need three of the exact same monitor to run them whereas NVIDIA does. So you can save some money on monitors and use the ones you currently have if they are not the same make and model. Also you don't need three GPU's for AMD's gaming solution NVIDIA you do to run three monitors, AMD you can run six monitors off of 1 card.

The pump is a stellar unit and pretty much the standard, I assume your getting two of them for the res you have chosen. Rads look good should do the job, CPU block looks good it seems you have done some research your on the right path.

As for the CPU it self Stan the owner of pureoverclock has his 980X up for sale for $525 shipped there is no difference performance wise but obviuosly the price is right, just a heads up for you. His chip has never been OC'ed and I'm pretty sure he slaps a diaper on it at night LMAO.

When it comes to OC'ing the more ram you have the harder it is to Overclock because it adds so much stress to the IMC on the chip, I truley think 12GB is sufficient for any application, but hey it's your doe.

Good luck with the build it is going to be a blast to watch this thread. If you have any questions fire away.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 am

Thanks for the comments, smduff. I have some AMD and some Intel builds. I have some with ATi and some with Nvidia video cards. I'm going with intel/Nividia on this one.

I already have two identical Samsung SyncMaster 2333's, but I must have not communicated what I am trying to do clearly. The two Sammy 2333's will be the Left and Right monitors and be run off the independent card (to start, the second card or possibly the third card). The primary card(2) will run a center monitor and only a center monitory. I'm not sure what I will get for a center monitor yet, but there is a an HP and a Dell 30" monitor that I am looking at. That will be the last thing I have to buy, so I'll worry about that later. Even if I run two cards in SLI, it will be to run the center monitor and only the center. I have no interest in gaming across three monitors. I am seriously considering running two GTX 460 cards in SLI for the center over the single 580 to start. I think that it will be more than enough. When you are water cooling the cards, it adds an interesting twist and it isn't so cut and dry that it is cheaper to run two 460's. Two set-up properly are almost as much as a single 580. There is also the concern with the additional load on the power supply with the additional card, but that isn't that big of a deal.

I am planning on running two pumps...I'll clear that up in the thread. The ram comment has my intrigued. Obviously having no experience OC'ing I wouldn't know that more ram = harder over clocking. My thoughts on ram were this, I currently have 8 and according to the meter widget I have, I'm maxing it out daily. So I thought, I have room for 24, why not go 24gb? That is about how much thought that I put in to it. I'll have to read more about the IMC. The temps should be fine with this set-up so that should help, but if there is just too much ram then there is too much.

I wish I was ready to pull the trigger on the chip, but I'm not there yet. Someone is going to get a really good deal on the 980. That won't last long at all.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:32 am

Savage don't ever think it is rambling when talking about your build. This is going to be quite a journey that you have taken on so document it with your concerns, wants and needs. And of course pics!

With the components you have chosen so far this is gonna be a very nice rig. The power supply should be just fine running all that as you stated you would like to over clock but nothing to drastic.

Love the 5.25 double reservoir you have chosen. The case is one of my favs for water cooling setups. It is huge so nice to work in and with and has the wonderful side window as ya want to be able to show off all the hard work when complete.

As for the video cards I would make one suggestion that duff made yesterday on another forum. Buy the cards that suit your needs and wants but do not buy factory overclocked cards as they cost more. It will not take long to overclock the standard cards and does not cost you anything but time and enjoyment. Duff can certainly help ya in that department!

Triple rad for the CPU overclocking will be fantastic on it's own loop and the choice of a double rad fo video should keep the cards running very cool as well.

fantastic post and thanks for sharing with us. look for ward to following this build as it progresses through the different steps. thanks
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 am

Can you guys tell me a little more about why having more ram is going to hurt my OC efforts? I just don't understand. I'm not trying to come across as challenging that at all, is just don't get it. I want to OC to learn about it and have some fun. I don't think I will ever NEED it for what I'm doing. It is just something that interests me and want to learn more about it.

I'm also considering the EK blocks. Anyone have any experience with the Koolance over the EK? Seems from what I have read they are pretty comparable in price and performance. I was just sticking with the Koolance blocks because it will allow for one more shipment from them rather than adding another vendor to the mix.

I won't buy any OC video cards...good advice. Thanks. There is some credible sources that a GTX 590 (dual GPU) is going to release sometime in February. While that is not a card I'd be purchasing, it may affect the pricing on the other cards. At least that is what I am hoping...

What do you all think of the MB?
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 am

It has to do with the amount of ram and the number of rams slots used therefore determining the amount of voltage needed is higher which creates more heat. More heat creates a more difficult overclock.

have a look at this thread. http://forums.hexus.net/scan-3xs-systems-support/194434-i7-overclock-bundle-12gb-ram-limits-overclock.html
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:34 am

Wow...that helped a ton. Thank you. I guess what I should really do is go strangle our design programs coders and ask them why the heck they can't program more efficiently. I'm not exaggerating when I say I see my ram pegged frequently. It is always running the design program and never any other time. It pretty hard to bog down a quad, but this program has done it.

SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:43 am

Here is another link. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=249146

Remember much of what you read is opinion when discussing the amount of ram being used when trying to overclock an i7. But the more you read on the subject the more i see the suggestion to use larger ram modules and populate all three chanels with 1 stick rather than smaller modules and populate all 6 slots if that makes sense?
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:07 am

That thread made me think it was possible... thinking

TO THE INTERNET...
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:44 am

SavageNFS wrote:That thread made me think it was possible... thinking

TO THE INTERNET...
Every post you read will tell ya 2 things. One guy saying know it is not possible and the next guy saying oh ya look at this...
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:50 am

Just a question as you have still not decided on CPU.

What about a New i7 2600K 4 core 8 thread and board when released in about a month and a half? They overclock to about 5 GHz on air...

or are you hooked on the idea of the 6 core?
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:01 am

I'm not hooked on a 6 core, but I am hooked on quiet. I have read a lot about the Sandy Bridge CPU's and have been impressed. They obviously had some issues with the SATA contollers, but those seem to be getting fixed by the MASSIVE recall. The 6 core seem to be very reliable and the time under their belt puts me at ease. That being said, I am open to the 2600K CPU's and MB combination. The timing of the re release will be a deciding factor. I know SithTracy went the 2600K route.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:02 am

I'm not sure what your current system is but im guessing it is still a 775 platform which if is the case, your only running dual channel memory the i7's run triple channel giving you more band width so it should be harder to max out as well.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:04 am

The SB platform is good but it still doesn't have the grunt power of a six core chip 6 cores 12 threads just has more jam to it.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 am

Dead on...smduff. It is DDR2 memory. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Here is a pic of the current build...and why I am going liquid:
New build for me... HTPC2
New build for me... HTPC

Some things have changed on it, but they are all minor. The bottom pic was taken the day I finished it. The PS has changed, another DVD burner, two more HDD's, real slot exhaust fan bit the dust and the side door has a couple of 120mm fans. It's a solid machine and it has a lot of life ahead of it. It currently streams all our media and is the kids go to machine for their browsing needs.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:35 am

LOL your going to be uh dripping in your drawers with that new chassis, the wire management is far Superior, than any NZXT chassis.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 am

Yeah...I know. That rigs a mess. Kids picked out that case. Let me tell you that was a nightmare getting them to decide!
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 am

Oh and to answer your question the mobo is fine, well better than fine but you get the idea, you could also look at the Formula III another great board.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bob2701 Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:14 pm

You are going to love the 800D. I think production now includes USB 3.0 on the front panel and SATA 6 for the hot swap cage. I have ordered the new USB 3.0 front panel but still waiting on the SATA 6 connectors.

Good luck with the build.
bob2701
bob2701
Respected Forum Idividuals
Respected Forum Idividuals

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:25 pm

I read the USB 3.0 panel was an add on you could add, but the hot swap cage weren't even available. If that is true, that would be really cool! I'll let you know tomorrow when it shows up.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:59 pm

So do you think that 12gb of Corsair Dominator GT 2000 DDR3 memory is a solid choice or a waste of resources? Should I scale it back a bit? What do you recommend if you were going to buy memory?
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:06 pm

I have a set of 1600 MHz ram and a 2000MHz set they both perform pretty much on par with each other to be honest. What I mean is you don't physically see a difference between the two speeds, but when it comes to benching or heavy apps is where the two will pull apart but not by much.

When it comes to overclocking depending on how high you clock say 4GHz your ram will run on spec, but if you push beyond the 4GHz range say 4.2 you won't get it to the rated speeds because you have to drop the divider down to get it just to boot.

But all said and done I would go with the 2000MHz set because it gives you that extra head room for higher clocks beyond 4GHz but still perorm at a decent pace.

Yes it's a solid choice but double check the qvl (qualified vendors list) to see if will be compatible with the other components you have choosen.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:24 pm

it looks like I'm good to go with the Rampage III Extreme, but the Rampage III Formula isn't listed in their drop down for compatibility. I'd have to think it would compatible as they use similar architecture, but I'd rather not assume anything. I'll jump on the Corsair forums and find out if I decide on the Formula.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:35 pm

SavageNFS wrote:So do you think that 12gb of Corsair Dominator GT 2000 DDR3 memory is a solid choice or a waste of resources? Should I scale it back a bit? What do you recommend if you were going to buy memory?
That is a great place to start. 3X 4GB and if you find your software program is still eating it you can try bumping it up to 24 later on down the road.
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:46 pm

10-4 on the ramZ. Going to go that route. That frees up some cash to throw at the video cards. Radiators just arrived and they look pretty!
New build for me... 2011-02-17_16-52-22_657
Radiators
New build for me... 2011-02-16_14-49-20_27
SSD
New build for me... 2011-02-17_16-51-13_946
Sleeved the fan adapters for the radiator fans. Have to do the other one yet.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next