https://mcstylists-overclock.forumotion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx

+3
4hams
smduff
rrplay
7 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx Empty Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx

Post by rrplay Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi
I have the a bit of a challenge getting my OC up on the rig in my system a bit higher than 3.5 seems like I should be able to OC a higher on air with reasonable temps but may suspect that the mem sticks are not good enough or more likely I am a dunce and missing something fundamental in bios settings.
the rig is in my details. any help would be appreciated
thanks
Peter
rrplay
rrplay
Respected Forum Idividuals

Back to top Go down

Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx Empty Re: Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx

Post by smduff Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Have you disabled all the power saving stuff, C1E, turbo tech, ect? Give us a few pics of the BIOS as well.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx Empty Re: Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am

thanks for the reply smduff ..here is a shot that passes 5x did 3x to expedite a post here

Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx Snapshot-pass001
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0184-crop
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0185-crop
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0186-crop
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0187-crop
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0188-crop
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0189-cropGigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0190-crop
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0191-crop
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0193-crop
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx SAM_0194-crop

here is CPUZ mem what is with the 1.5v? Kingston hyperX KHK1600C9AD3K2/4GB
KHK1600C9AD3K2/4GB

Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx Cpuz-spdmem-01

I did see some bios screenshots recently in 4.Ghz thread at PureOc about disabling all the power saving stuff, C1E, turbo tech, ect
just that when i would like to try to change multi to 24 x 160 I would be OK with 3.8 +I get a BSOD in intel burn-in
I do apologize for my noobness but had to ask
any advice or posting request I will certainly follow
thanks in advance

Peter

Last edited by rrplay on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added HperX mem info link)
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:03 am

Peter, I would suggest going into the bios and setting the bios defaults and then reboot.
This gives you a level playing field to start at. Once you have done that go back into the bios and disable all power saving settings as suggested by Steve earlier.
Manually set the CPU VCore to 1.25 as a starting point. Set the multiplier to 22.
I noticed in your setting that you have Load- Line calibration Disabled. It should be enabled as it helps the system keep a constant or level amount of voltage going to the CPU. Save the settings and reboot.

From here start raising the BCLK up by 4 notches and save settings and reboot. If system boots which it should with these settings run 5 passes of IBT remembering to monitor temps. If temps are fine continue this process of raising the BCLK a few steps and restarting and retesting each time.

Post screenies along the way so we can follow your process. Could ya make them a little larger though so my old eyes can read'em. LOL

Good luck!
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 am

Oh ya I think that new heatsink is in adequate for your CPU or it is not seated properly or the fan your using is not strong enough as it appears your temps are already quite high for your settings...
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:34 am

4hams wrote:Oh ya I think that new heatsink is in adequate for your CPU or it is not seated properly or the fan your using is not strong enough as it appears your temps are already quite high for your settings...

thanks Joel I an easily resize the snaps I will reset the cooler with some Artic MX -2 in a bit this am
that QPI / VTT volt should aproxi match Vcore @ 1.25 will do the fan I can only use one of those at this time I can fit both of them on just will have to wait a bit to get a splitter but usuallly 70C - 74C under full load with with max stress Intel Burn 8 threads @ 5x
had the previous runs at 5x a MAX intell burn and passed and
will enable Load line Calibration only one rig here and screen here so back in a bit

thanks
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:06 am

Use LinX instead of IBT it works the chip harder.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:21 am

smduff wrote:Use LinX instead of IBT it works the chip harder.

thanks had it running last night for a while and passes the previous 3.5 OC with larger problem size seems like I have to disable Gigabytes Load line to even run 1 pass with this board or I crash.
newer screeens coming up I'll remount the cooler later already mounted it 2X with TuniQ TX-2
thanks
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 am

Ok just to clarifiy it fails with the LLC on and passes with it off?
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 am

smduff wrote:Ok just to clarifiy it fails with the LLC on and passes with it off?

Even with at lower clocks when I disable gigabytes Load Line Calibration and it using Intel's specs I pass everytime if enabled immediately bsod here is a run pic at 5x
Gigabyte GA-H55N i7-870 on Air OC mini-atx BurnOC-001pass

watching the core volts in CPUZ i see it hovering about 1.16 max 1.18 at 100% load the temps actually hover about 72C most of the time under full load I am using the silentz 80mm 3 pin fan on cpu mobo header on full rpm seems to perform the same but a bit quiter than the 4pin PWM nexus fan
may consider both but have to get a splitter and plug the Nexus 4 pin into mobo add variable speed Silentz fan already included with cooler to a molex or such

kinda new with that Linpack LinXspotted it in here last nite in another thread and ran it with these setting for about 10 passes and passed with about 74 C temps I guess
will run again but have not changed the paste yes to Arctic MX-2 could make a dif ??

thanks for all the help so far guys really appreciate it
smile:
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:28 pm

New paste might help with 2-4 degrees, but you won't see massive drops unless there is an issue with the paste/bond now. If you have a soldiering iron, make your own splitter or tap into an existing molex connector.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

http://www.sandboxgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:51 pm

SavageNFS wrote:New paste might help with 2-4 degrees, but you won't see massive drops unless there is an issue with the paste/bond now. If you have a soldiering iron, make your own splitter or tap into an existing molex connector.

thanks that's why I remounted it and swapped single fans and will dig around to add the other fan 'push pull" and it will fit on that little radiator ..it only has 2 heatpipes but what the heck it idles at 38C mid 60's under 75% percent load
so I'l did around a bit and see if I can get that other fan on it with better TIM smile:
thank you
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by smduff Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Shin-Etsu is the best thermal paste around I was useing MX2 for a while and found this other stuff dropped my temps 4-5C its pretty impressive stuff, google it for reviews and take a look.
smduff
smduff
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:29 pm

smduff wrote:Shin-Etsu is the best thermal paste around I was useing MX2 for a while and found this other stuff dropped my temps 4-5C its pretty impressive stuff, google it for reviews and take a look.

thanks heard about it before Shin-Etsu but going try the MX-2 first and see about adding the fan and post some pics a bit later would still like to get about 3.8 out of it & we will see
thanks again guys thanks drink
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:54 pm

I used Arctic Silver 5 on my build and have been happy with it. Shin-Etsu is pretty good stuff to. I haven't used it personally, but know one guy that does and swears by it. Although talking to him, you'd think it was some ancient Chinese secret. I think everyone has their preference and most of the thermal products work similarly. Provided you start with clean smooth surfaces and apply the correct amount, they all seem to work pretty good.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 pm

SavageNFS wrote:I used Arctic Silver 5 on my build and have been happy with it. Shin-Etsu is pretty good stuff to. I haven't used it personally, but know one guy that does and swears by it. Although talking to him, you'd think it was some ancient Chinese secret. I think everyone has their preference and most of the thermal products work similarly. Provided you start with clean smooth surfaces and apply the correct amount, they all seem to work pretty good.

realy agree with you on the application of TIM thanks for taking the time to share with me.
I am pretty much caught up with you on on your current custom rig and wow it's great !! picked up last night on using the LinPack LinX to play around with mine
just so you know I did not intentionally build this little mini-atx I actually won it from cyberpower see the thread here with joey wang Want someone to build you a kick ass rig? Have a look

initailly thought it would have the Aetek mini hydro cooler but shipped with Intel Stock actually won it on 12/31/10 and the delay was with Corsair mem stik being back ordered and joey wanted to substitute the hypex X stik no problem for me lol so, he was happy and I 'm most happy as well ..
maybe I can get a dif cooler another time but the one i have for $17.00 should be OK for maybe 3.8 'push pull'
certainly nothing like what you have going on with your rig but I am definitely able to learn and apply at a later time

hey you guys want some fresh java almost time for a fresh pot ! smile:
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:55 pm

I remembered...not to many people win stuff that I acutally hear about. Kind of nice to see. Bob won a really nice Asus 3D monitor and vision kit recently. After playing around with the fans on my most recent build, I can tell you that the push/pull is the way to go if you can swing it. It helps a lot. Another trick is to use a shroud if you don't have the room for push/pull (obviously not the case here, but for discussion). They can really help focus the air flow and get the fans to work more efficiently. I built one out of sheet metal one time, but I only used it for a year or so and pitched it. It worked good, but I upgraded the case and just pitched it.
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:18 pm

cool I 've seen the shroud method before and may consider something like too because those rubber mounting clips put about I think about 5mm or so distance between the shroud fan chassis and rad so that's a possibility as well.
keeping fingers crossed with Asetek on the hydro cooler weekly giveaway 2 guys from other forums I kno have won an Antec/Asetek Kuhler hydro
that's really why i did NOT fork out lots$$ and bought the Silenz cooler which would fit that pretty tight 92x92x115mm area on mobo

I am liking this forum and don't forget to grab a fresh cup from the pot I just made

rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by SavageNFS Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:23 pm

I like the site as well...know Joel and Steve for a while at UDVDR, but finally had a reason to start hanging out hear. UPS man is late bringing me my longer DVI cords...really want to post up a nice pic of the rig all finished. The three monitors are exceeding my expectations. I'm excited to share...
SavageNFS
SavageNFS
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:38 pm

SavageNFS wrote:the three monitors are exceeding my expectations. I'm excited to share...

My UPS guy usually shows up about 10 30 & barely know Joel but some of the names here are familiar from pureOC I am looking forward in seeing your pics as well .and man that is one sweet setup you got and a bit of extra expert eyeballs along the way.
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi peter the 4th bios shot shows PCI Express freq on auto. set this to 100 and see if that helps at all when ya get back to it.

It does not make sense that LLC would cause a blue screen on you? When enabled it should help with overclocking...
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:16 pm

4hams wrote:Hi peter the 4th bios shot shows PCI Express freq on auto. set this to 100 and see if that helps at all when ya get back to it.

It does not make sense that LLC would cause a blue screen on you? When enabled it should help with overclocking...

thanks for setting the PCI Express to 100 might have had that before
prior to posting any of this I had toggled the LLC on and off and leaving everything else the same and BSOD in seconds with Max stress in Intel Burn and I agree that leaving it on GB should help ''not sure but I thought I saw a bit online somewhere disabling GB s LLC and staying with Intel
thanks Joel ! ..so for now I 'l just back off a bit & give it go another time and post back & do a full Bios reset before starting and easing it up again
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by grumpydaddy Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:46 pm

Keep your eye out for an overclocking fan or two (deltas maybe?) unless you think a better cooler is coming sooner

at a cost of $10-20 each and 40-80cfm if you can stand the noise you could get a bit higher. Shame you live the other side of the pond .....I have a few spare.

I can investigate post costs if they would interest you
grumpydaddy
grumpydaddy
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:02 am

Good luck with it Peter!
4hams
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by rrplay Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:33 pm

grumpydaddy wrote:Keep your eye out for an overclocking fan or two (deltas maybe?) unless you think a better cooler is coming sooner

at a cost of $10-20 each and 40-80cfm if you can stand the noise you could get a bit higher. Shame you live the other side of the pond .....I have a few spare.

I can investigate post costs if they would interest you

thanks for the thoughts regarding the deltas I think I read about them here in one of the posts so I may pick them up later ..still going to work with that neuxus on 4 pin mobo header with a fixed speed and the other Silenz fan on full & is not loud at all I thought the nexus would be quieter but not the case here the shrouding may effective as well

anyhow I tamed my OC down until I have more time to get it going again
in the meantime I went to burn a dvd with ImgBurn >>a nobrainer and BSOD ? wtf? so I'l take a look at at some of the mini dump files for the heck of it .still not a real problem just Win 7 - SP1 not playing all that nice with me rotating an Nvidia GTS 250 [Zotac] & re-installing Ati HD 5770 prior to this session

still thanks and I'l update this thread as it continues
rrplay
rrplay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next