Thoughts & concerns before Ubuntu install Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

https://mcstylists-overclock.forumotion.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts & concerns before Ubuntu install

2 posters

Go down

Thoughts & concerns before Ubuntu install Empty Thoughts & concerns before Ubuntu install

Post by oshimaida Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:15 am

Hi George,
Wanted to put into a post my thoughts and concerns on going to Ubuntu as my main OS.
For some time now I ,ve sat on the fence shall I sharn,t I go with Ubuntu when I require to do a reinstall.
Well that time is nigh!!
Sent for the disc from canonical for the very latest install -that was even after downloading and burning the iso to a disc x2 just to be sure!! my obsession.
I must say It is a breeze to install and quickly too.I was concerned after being with XP since its inception that I would find it too different for me BUT the desktop and its installed apps firefox ,open office seemed really very easy to navigate no problems there
Checked out if it would recognise my printer- yes so thats ok-- So why haven,t I gone any further with it.?
For info only- I didn,t go with the dual boot or use the virtual install option I installed onto a clean 40 gb hd on an old E-machine rig that,s another of my spares.

WHY indeed, It,s really I suppose that I ,m scared that I can,t find alternatives for the so called performance apps like prime 95,riva tuner ,evga precision, speedfan ,hw moitor , 3d mark,core temp etc and this maybe, why others in this overclocking pursuit of ours may not have jumped down off the fence either.
Personally I can now see me not holding back as an os to me is just a tool to hold all the progammes and apps I use ,I know that is a rather simplistic view of os,s in general but I can,t help feeling that way!!
So then, all I require is an informed opinion on what I can or cannot run and "bobs your uncle" I ,m with you on free os,s.
Also what about antivirus not required I take it ?
Fire wall there is fire starter I believe?
Will my ebay desktop run,smart defrag,ccleaner ,spybot s&d,adv.sys care,adaware,malwarebytes, some of them are like old friends been with me thru thick and thin and we have been together a long time-will I loose all these?
So thats really it on my foray into the big wide world of open software,so far so good can you help me to take the next step I,m scared!!!
oshimaida
oshimaida
Respected Forum Idividuals

Back to top Go down

Thoughts & concerns before Ubuntu install Empty Re: Thoughts & concerns before Ubuntu install

Post by georgeg4 Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi oshimaida I know exactly what you are going through with that install . I started with RED HAT 5 and that was really scary , I couldnt even get online with it , I then migrated to Mandrake and Had a hard time installing drivers for my soft modem ( I have a tutorial on the subject in Bruno,s tips for linux beginners ) But after all that I tried distro after distro 15 of them to be exact and I found Ubuntu , Now to answer your question about windows apps . I also have a few that I still use but for me it is easier because I dual boot . There is a program called win4lin that will allow you to run most of those programs from linux , But like you mentioned no anti virus although there is one written for linux . They do have most windows programs pretty well covered with open source , I will provide you with a link to Bruno,s ATL ( All Things Linux ) at Scotsnewsletters He was just about the best linux guru there ever was , And his staff still keeps his forum running and they will go out of their way to help you with any problems or questions you might have . I personally am not a guru I am just sold on linux , so in closing please check out http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/ for any and all help they also have a forum on overclocking that will answer your questions on that subject .I hope this helps you and let me be the first to Welcome you to Linux
georgeg4
georgeg4
Moderators
Moderators

http://georgeg4.proboards57.com

Back to top Go down

Thoughts & concerns before Ubuntu install Empty Re: Thoughts & concerns before Ubuntu install

Post by oshimaida Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:37 am

Thanks are in order to you George for the info ,I,m sure it will help me and many other forumites to cross over.

I of course will drop in on the forum you mention and eagerly devour all the info to get me going
I will keep you informed of my progress,and giving further thought to changing, it maybe would be the way to go for my grandaughter Sasha-Leigh who is 10 going on 18 who now wizzes round the web at breakneck speed IM- ing face book(yes I know!!) and all the other chatty things kids her age and older do -without a care in the world about viruses and other malicious spyware etc.
If she did hit a problem I could reinstall or even upgrade to a later newer version- it does seem so much easier to contemplate than Bill,s offering doesn,t it.
Finally before I quit I would appreciate your thoughts on MINT v.8 I have downloaded it but not burnt it to disc yet
Is it somewhat better than Ubuntu or do I at this stage stick with what I,ve got.
oshimaida
oshimaida
oshimaida

Back to top Go down

Post by georgeg4 Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:01 pm

OK here is the dope on Mint v.8 It along with most distros have a live CD so you can try them out , I highly recommend that you try it and any other distro you run across till you find one you like because they are all good but there are subtle differences in each Some are harder to operate than others , Slackware for an example has no gui , it is command line . I settled on Ubuntu so far because it is user friendly and has a multitude of programs and I am lazy and stupid so it IMHO is better than our " FRIEND BILL'S " because of the obvious differences in the two , Completely Free, No virus's , Faster , and as you said easily repaired just by rebooting the system . I personally will probably try another distro in the future and maybe more than one , As I said I have two on my computer now since I have a 360 gig drive there is plenty of room to experiment and experimenting with computers is my thing , Ever since I owned my Commodore 64 . I have been through Win 95,98,ME,XP,XP PRO and Vista but none of them compare to linux IMHO .
georgeg4
georgeg4
Moderators
Moderators

http://georgeg4.proboards57.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down