InkJet Cartridge Refill Kits... Are They Worthwhile?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

InkJet Cartridge Refill Kits... Are They Worthwhile?

Post by Tio Franco on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:49 am

Hey Guys...

I have a HP 4550 DeskJet printer that I got a great price on as a refurb. Don't do any high quality printing with it, as I have a laser printer for photos and such. I know that, given the cost of ink cartridges these days, many printers are almost disposable.
I've been think of getting one of the cartridge refill kits that I've seen around on the net, and was curious if anyone here had used them and what they thought about them.

I have double checked to make sure there is one which is usable with the HP DeskJet 4550.
Tio Franco

Back to top Go down

Re: InkJet Cartridge Refill Kits... Are They Worthwhile?

Post by oshimaida on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:07 am

I use an unchipped Epson photo 750 printer.Compat.cartridges are as cheap as chips,
like £1 for black and £1.75 for colour,the colour is a 5 tank job and the prints are very good.
Just tried a Epson 3in1 chipped- & went straight back to the 750 it was slow and noisy as hell..
On to your question -yes tried them and failed miserably-got the black all over my hands--neat bleach to get it off, couldn,t stop them leaking when I,d filled them -went on "you tube" and there,s a ton of info on filling used cartridges on there!!-still leaked.
My advice is don,t bother try to go the cheap compatible route or buy a CIS (continous ink system-ebay has plenty for sale -new.and bottles of ink are cheap.
HP give it away -the ink is the most expensive fluid on this planet -buy an Epson ,earlier the better.

#2-retro-rig
Coolermaster elite334, Be Quiet 650watt modular psu,Abit it7max2v.2 it7pe6 bios,Northwood 478- 2.8@3.4,Scythe infinity cooler 92mm scythe fan,Sony x22 dvd,WD 80 gb ide,Gainward ti4600 golden sample,vanteq iceberq4 blue gpu cooler,Crucial ddr 3200/400 2x1gb ram,xilence redwings- 2x 120,s+1x80m (side) casefans ,xp pro sp3,
#3-spare-rig
oshimaida
Respected Forum Idividuals

Back to top Go down

Post by bob2701 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:38 pm

My Brother in law used a refill kit on his HP a few years ago and I think he still has ink on his fingers from it. After about 6 months the printer was unuseable as to being clogged. I stay away from them.
bob2701

Back to top Go down

Post by oshimaida on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:05 pm

When I re- read the previous post I didn,t want it to come across a bit bombastic, ie sell the printer!! etc .
I really should of said be mindful of the costs and be really really carefull I nearly ruined the kitchen table as the ink I,d injected into the cartridges leaked out and soaked thru the newspaper I was working on over night!!.
I then proceeded to put every thing into a large cat litter tray and worked out of that.
Surgical gloves are ok up to the point that your hands get soaked in sweat and then they are very uncomfortable to work in.
Ink and your skin extremely "dificile" to get off.
Cost of refill kit over here in UK was if my memory serves me rightly was about £14 colour and £9 black.-yes you will save money if you fill-em and slap em straight back into the printer- you then should not get the leaks I did by leaving them out. although I remember the bumph enclosed saying leave to stand or something like that--be wary!!
I eventually sealed the fill hole with a glue gun but still could not stop the leakage past the electricians tape stretched over the exit port.
Also to remember HP cartridges have print heads in them which eventually wear and your print quality sadly deteriorates somewhat,The Epsons have the heads in the machine and can last for years.
HP have their patents so tightly controlled that it is more difficult to get "legal compatibles" and some companies over here advertise re manufactured units ,in most if not all cases dearer than Epsons.So that,s it Tio really just my experiences over the years trying to save a few bob on my printing consumables,I do hope it helps you with an informed decision.

#2-retro-rig
Coolermaster elite334, Be Quiet 650watt modular psu,Abit it7max2v.2 it7pe6 bios,Northwood 478- 2.8@3.4,Scythe infinity cooler 92mm scythe fan,Sony x22 dvd,WD 80 gb ide,Gainward ti4600 golden sample,vanteq iceberq4 blue gpu cooler,Crucial ddr 3200/400 2x1gb ram,xilence redwings- 2x 120,s+1x80m (side) casefans ,xp pro sp3,
#3-spare-rig
oshimaida

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Hey Tio, sorry I missed this thread! Some great replies already.

I also tried the fill it yourself systems a few years ago when I use to use Epson printers. as stated by others it was a disaster. I had ink everywhere and after the cleanup the cartridges were no good anyways as they wer chipped and there was no method with the kit to eras the info on the chip. so when filled and installed they still read as empty...

I understand why you are looking for a solution to the cost of ink as i just spent $112.00 for a Black and 3 color cartridges last week for my Brother all in one.

I am going to give this place a try next time I need ink and see if the prices are more reasonable. maybe there is a place like this in your neck of the woods?

http://www.islandinkjet.com/
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Tio Franco on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Thanks for your input guys. Most of what y'all have said is what I recall hearing and reading about, ten years ago.... The last time I considered trying a refill kit. Overall, the cons seem outweigh the pros.

Most of ya don't know me very well yet, but I'm a Chemist. Worked with lots of nasty chemicals over the years. I have a fairly good cache of stain removing elixir recipes, concocted over the years. So, I'm not worried about the potential mess.

Larger concerns for me would be...
* Leaks
* Chip memory

I'd forgotten that HP likes to have chips in their inkjet cartridges. The model printer I have does have software which will show the level of ink in the cartridge. I recall now that, at work several years ago, we had a (then) top model HP color inkjet printer. Our boss thought we could save money by refilling the three separate color cartridges. Well...
As was noted, it seems that once a cartridge is detected as empty, it remains "empty"...
Even if it is refilled.

I think I will take Oshimaida's and 4H's advice and look into second party compatible cartridges.
Tio Franco

Back to top Go down

Post by 4hams on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Sorry Tio I would have answered sooner but i have been messing around in the Admin panel. having a transparency issue with the Google ads.

I think some kits may come with a tool to erase the chips nowdays? but i still have know idea how well they work.

Did ya check to see if island Inkjet is in your area?
4hams
Old Father Time
Old Father Time

Back to top Go down

Post by McstylisT on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:01 am

Great thread :Winner:

I tried this about 3 years back. Same sort of results. Very messy and for the the quality dipped slightly too. I agree the price of the HP cartridges here in the UK anyway are ridiculous. Especially for someone who does print a fair bit.

I tend to agree with Gareth here and think my next printer route will be Epson or Kodak as they really are easier on the pocket.
Though not being a massive printer myself my experience of various printers is low. So sort of taking advice myself from this thread too. drink

McT

MY I7 @ 4GHZ , 12GB DDR3 , 2x ATI 5770 CrossFire X SYSTEM

McstylisT
Admin
Admin

http://mcstylists-overclock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oshimaida on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:41 am

Just a bit more info for you guys to mull over.
I guess you could say Epson rocks for me!!! LOL
There is by the way a piece of software available called :-
The "EPSON printer fix v.3.80" and if I may here is the speil from the dvd sleeve, I bought it a few years ago from a computer fair so I don,t know if its legal on not and as i,ve not used chipped cartridges except recently with the DX4450 epson 3 in 1 I can,t confirm emphatically that its good to go.------

"This utility for almost any inkjet Epson printer WILL save you ink and money.Just select the printer you have and away you go.When the black/colour ink is showing that it is nearly empty go into the programme,open the reset counters menu,when done turn the printer off then backon and the ink will be back to halfway and thats how much ink is still in the cartridge.you can also just clean the black or only the colour saving you more ink again."
It will also do a reset if all the lights flash and the printer stops working-most peaps throw them away then-no need, reset and go again.

This is obviously for chipped units I still maintain unchipped is the way to go .
My fave brand is "Black Diamond" and at present using"Pro-Jet" and these are also as good.
Hope this helps.

#2-retro-rig
#3-spare-rig
oshimaida

Back to top Go down

Post by McstylisT on Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:45 am

Some interesting information there oshimaida thanks

McT

MY I7 @ 4GHZ , 12GB DDR3 , 2x ATI 5770 CrossFire X SYSTEM

McstylisT
Admin
Admin

http://mcstylists-overclock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tio Franco on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:15 pm

I just checked the site you linked, 4H. Sounds like a good concept. I'll need to do some search and see if there is something similar in the States.

Thanks for you info too, Oshimaida.
Tio Franco

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum